Sunday, 10 July 2016

Hello from UCA

So this summer I'm doing a variety of projects that I feel I should document somewhere online so everyone doesn't think I've fallen of the face of the earth - right now I'm currently sat in my old house on campus, not going to lie it's very strange. 

For the most part I'm working closely with marketing helping deliver some of the Summer school actives here in Farnham, making some videos along side my Vlogs for the UCA website, helping out with photography for some new marketing campaigns and helping shape the new ambassador scheme/team for the next academic year. 



I've also been talking to marketing about possibly running some events in local feeder schools to give the students an idea of what filmmaking and arts education is like at degree level - which is all very exciting and actually quite interesting. My current thought is running a workshop surrounding video poetry, giving the students a poem or a piece of music they have to think about whilst working. Then giving them a quick overview of camera work (probably using a DSLR as these students will be around 14-16 years) and sending them off onto campus to get footage they believe represents the work that's been given to them. Then in the afternoon giving them a quick tour of Premiere and seeing what they come up with. But any other ideas I'd love to hear because the quicker this event forms the easier it will be to execute.

Whilst all of this was happening I also got put forward for a filming job via marketing for a youth centre here in Farnham. They are hosting their summer festival in the coming weeks and needed a one-person-film crew to come along and conduct some interviews for a case study to use as feedback/marketing for their trustees and anyone they approach to help fund their cause. This all takes me back to first year documentary but I'm surprisingly calm about it all. I've managed to get some very nice equipment from stores to help make it as marketable and presentable as possible as this is a very charity that not only need the money but they deserve it too.

But UCA aside for a second I've also been working on a project for a company called Seeper Arts an organisation, that I feel personally, sums up the DFSA ethos. I tweeted them out of the blue after discovering their website asking if they had any internships available and they replied saying they don't really offer them but to send my CV, website etc over to them and they'll take a look. Later that week I got an email back explaining that they are willing to offer me an internship in which I can pitch multiple ideas at them, they pick their favourite and then they'll facilitate me making said project. On the condition it produces an interesting behind the scenes video for their website. Which I'm all for.

I'm trying to keep it relevant to this summer in particular as I believe that will be the best marketing technique for the company (and maybe improve my chances of them liking the idea). So I'm back working on Shakespeare as it's currently the 400th anniversary and the Olympics/Paralympics as soon that will be all over our TV screens.

Medium wise I do want to branch out a bit and venture into some territory I'm planning on using for a final year project, so using this opportunity as a way to experiment before term starts up again. But that seems terrifying so I may tone it back a bit from holograms (I'm not crazy I just sound it) and venture more towards projection mapping something I know Seeper work with often. Seeper Arts as a company thrive on interactivity within their work and I'm afraid that as of now I'm not that well versed in it which is something I hope to pick up on. You know, if they accept any of my pitches.

For now I'm going to go back to work for a week or so, working on these projects whenever I have some free time, then hopefully dive straight back into them once Summer School season is over.

Also made a website a few weeks ago www.rachelbramley.com - thought I'd put that out there too. 

OK. Bye. 

2 comments :

  1. Gosh Rachel you are doing fantastic work for the UCA thats brilliant and really hard work too. Your summer project with Seeper sounds fascinating - I checked out their website: they doing some really interesting interactive material; I liked the sound and movement reactive work in the Bangalore disco - I went to a seminar where someone from Bournemouth uni was doing something a little similar using projection mappingin a night club - made me think of us looking at more interesting spaces to use for both filming purposes and for installations and interactive spaces. Are there any night clubs in Farnham? The Monolith work was a beautiful piece of computer generated art too.

    Do try to get a number of pitches together for them this could be the start of a possible exciting relationship. DFSA are keen to move further into interactivity so this is a perfect area to explore. Holograms????? ooh - if you want someone to test your ideas on let me know as I am about. I will have a think about the schools project and send you some thoughts by Friday 15th July if thats helpful. Ps I Liked your new website and pleased that you put 'My non binary Burden' up there.

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com