Sunday, 2 October 2016

The New Globe

When I was approached to work with Seeper I was at a complete loss for ideas then I remembered that the Shakespeare festival is still happening. So following on from my last installation I went with that idea - mainly because I didn't have any other ideas at the time. 


However I'm still holding onto The Tempest because it's my favourite Shakespeare play. The RSC have been working on this new adaptation for a few years and the fact that I can't see it kills me. So I'm going to play around with technology and create something as well. So I went on the RSC company website searching for ideas. I originally had a plan to create a large elaborate stage production of Richard III but as a video game, complete with kinect cameras, holograms and live actors. But then I realised that I actually wanted to work on multiple projects this year and as seen within Intel and Imaginarium, you need all the time you can get to make Shakespeare go digital.


As I was looking through Seepers website and I saw a project called Geosphere and wondered if it was possible to project 3D images onto a sphere - turns out it is. So I instantly made the connection.


Sphere = Globe = Shakespeare's Globe. 

My original idea was to ask members of the public what they're favourite Shakespeare quote was, record it and place it in a soundscape. Then whenever a line from The Tempest played out water would appear in time to the speech, projected onto the globe. It would then build up until the words would be practically inaudible, as if everyone was speaking at once, followed by a projected globe layering plays and sonnets. During the 450th anniversary the literary community have focused on re-creating the legacy he left behind when he died. However they haven't really paid much attention to the legacy that currently exists. By creating this piece it will be populating the globe in Shakespeare's new audience.

But how do I make that 'fun' or 'new'? How do I bring the embodiment of his work into the 21st century? To be honest. I don't really have to do anything. We quote Shakespeare every other day.
Psssst if you haven't noticed, the bits in black are Shakespearian quotes.
Image: Royal Shakespeare Company

Why not populate this new globe with the things we actually say in modern day society and pair it with the eras it's transcending. One animation to represent the original production. One animation to represent the play now. To add to the soundscape there will also be two juxtaposing soundtracks, as well as the voice over. One set in modern day London other set in 16 century London. Once again the idea remains the same, members of the public speak the line, then one by one they build up. However this time the 16th Century track will slowly die out leaving only the modern day perception of his work left to view.

I consider this a fairly big move in the right direction. Whilst the project is still very much in development/ experimental phase. I think it could be good.

Also Seeper recommended taking it to the National Theatre or the RSC themselves.
Originally sent to Seeper Arts for an Internship 
The original proposal document for 'Shakespeare's New Globe'
Below is a video I found when researching Shakespeare based art/experiments, there is an entire science study around how Shakespearian language effects our lives. This video shows how the heart rate changes when hearing some of the quotes.


Living Shakespeare (art installation) from Peter Hofmann on Vimeo.

No comments :

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com