![]() |
The Spinning Dancer -
oil painting by Afremov
by Leonidafremov on
@DeviantArt: Oil Paintings
|
As I mentioned in my last post my initial idea was the use of paint/powder paint to create something during the dance so that when the dance is over there is a tangible thing left of it. But pursuing this idea would then limit the production to a studio (something we are aiming for anyway but with grad films still shooting I believe it will be quite difficult). But it just looks so intriguing, occasionally I like to pursue ideas that just look nice and see where they go. The current thought was that an acro-dancer would use talcum powder whilst training, to migrate the ideas together we talked about slowly having the powder evolve into coloured powder the more confident she get's whilst warming up before eventually washing it off in the tub of milk.
I know Megan has a better overview of the base storyline (Seen here) but here's my interpretation. Shot starts with the dancer approaching a room, once in the room - full of mirrors - she starts moving stunted, not fluid, in constant view of a mirror, constantly being judged. She then picks up the powder to start warming up, clapping the powder between her hands and rubbing them together (some of which are close ups, some shown in the reflection of the mirrors) and starts warming up - stretching and just generally preparing. She grabs another hand full of powder and claps her hands together before the camera follows the powder into the air acting as a transition to an empty room. It's here where the performance starts to happen, slowly the powder starts to turn into different colours as she warms up and then she starts performing - free, fluid, graceful - everything she wasn't in the first section. The dance then slows down to a almost painful speed as she starts cooling down and starts stretching again, eventually making her way to the bath of milk, dancing around the bath prolonging the experience before immersing herself in it. The camera would then track up just as her head goes beneath the milk showing the powder still in the air (highlighted by the studio lights), showing the remainder of her performance.
That sounded overly dramatic, but you get the idea?
Whilst I love the idea here I don't think it comes across too well, the yellow light being a particular pain taking away the dramatic effect of the powder - I'm also not a fan of drawing on the floor with it, it's just a bit too childlike for me.
I then found this video, I was so excited when I saw the thumbnail because this is exactly what I had in mind when I thought of using the powder paint the first place. However it's a slideshow of images but the idea is still the same. The common theme when using this style of the video/photography is that the dancer tends to be going upward to get the ghost-like effect. A movement that could be very symbolic for our dancer consider the dance is her trying to improve herself.
It turns out the way to get best results is to use flour? I was a bit skeptical but it looks amazing.
Here there is a mixture of techniques that I like, the fact that they VFX the colour onto the flour is intriguing and looks fantastic in the still shots, I believe it would only look better in the moving ones. The mixture of slow motion shots and regular speed shots also shows a bit of what Megan spoke of in her blog by merging the two speeds together to show different sections of the dance. I also love the use of the powder as a transition - something I mentioned earlier.
Here is also a video showcasing some very interesting, crow inspired choreography. A style that could possibly be suited to the first section of the film but maybe a bit slower.
However the music in the final piece is very dramatic, overly dramatic to some extent which is why I have a whole other blog post ready to go on that side of things. You'll just have to wait and see.

No comments :
Post a Comment