As far as research goes I haven't been able to find any videos aside from the relatively new 'Chandelier' by Sia staring dancer Maddie Ziegler from Dance Moms (a TV show I mentioned in a previous post) that is solely dance. I really like the edge this video has and it's dark tones and use of silhouettes add to it. What I do commend them on is the use of long takes, something we were unable to do due to lack of planning time for out shoot.
Now something I am rather obsessed with is musical theatre and a musical I've seen and loved is Billy Elliot (which comes out on DVD Live from the West End and I can't wait!), now whilst I don't ave access to that video I do have access to many performances and the movie clips. A turning point in the film is where Billy is torn between his family and their wishes and dancing, resulting in Angry Dance. In this film clip you have a lot of footwork close ups which makes sense with it being a tap piece, but it also gives the clip a sense of urgency because his feet are the things moving the fastest within the dance.
Watching this reminded me of just how many great dance sequences there are in musical theatre, so here are my favourites all of which have influenced me in some way or another.
Again amazing footwork close up's here to show the sheer technicality of the dances.
For a performance being streamed live worldwide I'm pleasantly surprised with the shots they have, the establishing shots do exactly that you are never confused on what's happening which can often happen during live TV.
The same thing apples here, this is a live performance being broadcast all over the world and in a working theatre that isn't really built for these situations, I really admire the director of the 65th Tony Award's Glenn Weiss for this production, it really flowed well.
2014 Tony Awards Neil Partick Harris was amazing in Hedwig and the Angry Itch, not the best cinematography but really do love this performance.
Now back to movie Musicals here I have Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Sound of Music, they both bring the essence of the stage that we've just saw but with better cinematography, planned out shots and all without being patronising to the theatre which is easier said than done.
Now I'm getting a bit carried away....
For now my main focus is getting it finished, and honestly I believe it's nearly there - just a few tweaks and it should be done.

Hi rachel did you see my links - you might like this one from Stormy weather - which is a great movie too
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNKRm6H-qOU
\Anne
That's really interesting, I can't believe I haven't seen that before in all honestly. I love their use of the space/set.
Delete- Rachel