Thursday, 15 January 2015

House.

So I've done some reading and I think I finally have an opinion on this sculpture, although it's political as per usual. 

What I found intriguing was the fact that this sculpture's creation rendered the thing it's embodying useless. An interesting quote from Rachel Whiteread, Shredding Life; 'It raises more polemical issues in contemporary society: the right to have a home, control of property and the demise of areas of free access in the urban context.'

What I want to do with this project is embody everything about it, first impressions, political views and it's creation. I was brainstorming ideas and my first idea was pretty plain, general house sounds. Then  I started thinking about how houses are recycled throughout generations and given to different families through different circumstances.  I will then speed up the sounds and make them more and more condensed to show the over use of the property. Followed by a penultimate crash symbolising the creation of the sculpture (which included knocking down the property surround the mould) but also symbolising a tragedy in the life of the current occupants rendering the building empty. Now whilst I'm unsure of the following but I want to show the politics of the situation, the fact that they are so many homeless people in London yet they are knocking down accommodation that they could have used. Over all the ending would be a complete 360, a new family would move in and the cycle would start again. 
Hence this weird list/mind map was created.

Hopefully it will make more sense when completed. 

1 comment :

  1. Just to let you know that the house in question was due to be demolished so the sculpture temporarily 'froze' the last moments of its existence. The sculpture caused a lot of local comment both for and against but when it was time for it to be cleared the community wanted it to stay so it had become a meaningful object.

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com