Monday, 5 October 2015

Happy Drunk, Sad Drunk, Little Ball of Fur


Today I sat down with the vast majority of my sounds and go to work figuring out my soundscape. Since I already have a chronology to my sounds the first step for me was simply getting them all imported and into their designated (named) tracks, I'm pretty lucky since I've worked with cubase (a very similar program before) so for a lot of this it was just the case of getting back into old habits. Once everything was organised I just got to work and started experimenting, I already have a basic idea of what I want the project to sound like and whilst I don't have a solid voiceover to work around yet everything else is there including the beat I created at home so I have something to link it all together.

I've added a lot of reverb however in most cases (up until now) they have been used in conjunction with the original sound, so for instance you have the beat track original and the edited beat playing at the same time. I love this kind of effect because it gives you that extra dimension of sound without taking away the raw quality it has, if that makes sense? All but 3 of my sounds were recorded at home (2 were taken from the BBC sound library because it wasn't possible to get them alone and 1 is a music track) meaning it is quite obvious that it isn't really a party this guys at but part of me likes that. The whole story of the extract is a guy is at a party but is texting his Girlfriend saying he's in bed because he's tired, the guy is known for his drinking and his Girlfriend is trying to put a stop to it something he is fighting whilst being at the party yet he is hyper aware of the fact that she's right. With this is mind I want to give the sound piece a sense of hyper-reality, make sure the audience know that he is at a party but make them notice things they wouldn't normally notice. Instead of the bass booming you have a high-hat, instead of people talking loudly you have heavy breathing, everything that would normally get over looked (such as your phone ringing.... hint, hint) is suddenly the loudest thing in the room - but the music is still playing, the people are still there they are just not your main concern. 

I only have my voice over to record using an actual male actor (not just me trying to say words in time to a click track) and all in all I'm on track to finish by Monday evening, after which it just a case of mastering the track. 


My screen after getting a general overview of where the sounds need to be, now they just need cleaning up and panning.


PS The title of this post is a play on the first line of the song 'Happy Drunk' and the Soft Kitty Song because, why not?


No comments :

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com