So my samples weren't as exciting as some peoples, after finding out the deadline and what the project expected of me my idea to do Spring Awakening was quickly pushed aside in favour of a more practical option. It just so happened that my practical option was set in a nightclub were most noises (aside from music) are caused by people doing pretty standard things meaning I could record all my sounds from my bedroom as I live in a pretty quiet neighbourhood.I had already made a list of sounds during lesson, the first day we used the Maratnz, and I had recorded a fair few samples that day however not only did I record in B127, me and the Maratnz just didn't get on. I'm not sure if its because I'm used to the Zoom and I know how to use it (or thought I knew how to use it anyway until I recorded in stereo thinking it was in mono) but add a faulty cable that took me 30 mins to figure out - it just wasn't a good day.
So the following Friday I booked a Zoom out of stores and just got to work. I sat at my desk and set up the zoom and just made my way through the list; can opening, clothes rubbing against each other (totally isn't just me rumpling a hoody), heavy breathing, gasping, phone vibrating, text notifications, guzzling drinks, drinks fizzing, general ambience, cans tapping and the initial beat me tapping on my desk. I chose to do that because it reminded me of a bar, when I'm getting served at a bar if they're taking a long time or IDing 3 times just to 'make sure', I end up tapping along to the beat of whatever is playing in the background. So that's where all that came from, I told you it's not that interesting what was interesting was layering the sounds and making them seem a lot more 'epic' than they actually are. Something I'll cover in a later blog post.
No comments :
Post a Comment