On Monday last week I once again went into W104 to work on the animation for my piece, as mentioned in my other post I has started playing around to see how I could best make the waves appear in the video. And whilst I actually rather like the way this looks it does take a while to get it up to a point it looks like an actual wave. It takes a lot of key framing and watching it over to make sure the lines work well together. However it takes a lot of patience, so I tend to work on it for a certain period of time and then go off and do something else before I loose my mind. I also had a meeting with my actress on this day meaning I had
On the Tuesday I sat down after speaking with my actress and tried to figure out timing, now I had overestimated how long this particular monologue would take to actually perform. So I started trying to figure out timing so when my actress came with me to record my voice over the following day I could slow/speed her up. I did this by matching each line to a section of the storyboard and saying each line in my head, I ended up assigning each section around 10 seconds of screen time. To get a better idea of this I made a 3 minute long composition in After Effects and re-wrote my subtitles with the timings included. Now some of it dragged, I am very aware of that however I can't decide whether it will still drag when all the elements are put together and it's something I'm going to have to make a decision on fast. It did, however, give me a better idea of what I was working towards.
Also after speaking with Rosie and Tom I found that the rear projection screen in the University is actually in 4:3 ratio as apposed to 16:8 which I had been working in so I've simply transferred my exiting footage into a new composition that's in the correct ration. However I haven't adjusted the existing pre-comps so it still looks a bit odd until I go back into fix it.
Here is a preview of what I've been working on, it's nowhere near finished but it's what I had at the end of adding the correctly timed subtitles.
I also added the dots to represent those still on the island and a moving icon to represent the boat, I added multiple effects on the boat icon as well a tracking path and key-framing the scale to try and make it look like it's out of place and the only thing affected in this very still, controlled world that I've created.
On Thursday I also filmed my actress in front of a green screen - I will make a more detailed blog about that in the future - however just to make sure it worked I quickly put into After Effects and ran a quick test with Keylight. I still need to do a bit more research on the effect I want to create before I can say it's ready to be put into the composition but it's getting there.
The only thing that's worrying me right now is that I believe the work looks like student work - which is never a good thing to think when looking at work I'm proposing for a Gallery Exhibition. However what I'm trying to create is so obscure I need to keep powering through the amateur looking version before I ask for help because without that version I can't explain what it is I'm trying to make. And no my badly drawn storyboards are of no help.
Andre also took some picture whilst on set, here they are!



No comments :
Post a Comment