![]() |
| Merlin in the Woods by Alan Lee |
The piece will focus on several incarnations/states of the Merlin myth, some more visual than others, acting as a timeline to this legend as he comes into the 21st century.
Wild man of the Woods (14th Century Merlin)
Before wise old Merlin we have, crazy wild man Merlin.
'Did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, tell hairs were grown like eagles' feathers , and his nails like birds' claws' (Merlin: A Casebook)
'After the battle of Arfderydd (a real one, in c. 573) Myrddin is no longer in the world of lords and warriors, and ladies, but along, in nature; in self-chosen exile and weary melancholy he represents a wisdom that a reject his society and its values.' (Merlin: Knowledge and power through the ages)
Poems relating to this period (aka the few stanzas I can actually find);
Yr Afallennau
(The apple trees)
(The apple trees)
I'm still hunting for the original poem, I can only find the first verse in Welsh.
A poem written as if form Myriddin's (Merlin) perspective
Awallen peren a tif in llanerch.
y hangert ae hargel rac riev Ryderch.
y hangert ae hargel rac riev Ryderch.
amsathir in y bon. maon yn y chilch.
Oet aelav vtvt dulloet diheueirch {ibid:, lines 35-38).
Oet aelav vtvt dulloet diheueirch {ibid:, lines 35-38).
(Sweet apple tree, growing in a glade,
a treasure hidden from the lords of Rhyddrech.
With a crowd round its base, a host around it,
delight to them, brave warriors.
Now Gwenddydd loves me not, nor welcomes me,
and I am hated by Gwasawg, Rhyddech's ally.
I have destroyed her son and daughter,
death takes everyone; why does he not welcome me?
After Gwenddolau, no lords revere me,
ano sport delights me, no lover seeks me out.
In the battle of Arferydd, my torque gold,
today I am no treasure to a swan-like girl.)
Yr Oianau (The Greetings)
Yr Oianau (The Greetings)
I'm still looking for this one... I'll find it eventually.
Ymddiddan Myriddin a Thalsiesin
(The dialogue of Myriddin and Talisen)
Conversation between Merlin and Welsh archetypal poet Tailspin, alter ego of Merlin,
discussing the aftermath of the battle of Arferydd.
discussing the aftermath of the battle of Arferydd.
Seith ugein haelon. A aethan ygwllon.
yg coed keliton. y. daruuan
(Jarman 1982: 2, lines 35-36).
(Seven score generous nobles went into madness;
in Celyddon Wood they died.)
Cyfiesu Myriddin a Gwenddydd ei Chwaer
(The conversion of Myriddin and his siter Gwenddydd)
Myriddin speaking from the grave about his death and the death of his brothers.
Och annwylor oer esgar.
gwedy dyuot yn drydar.
gan unben dewr diarchal.
dy ylodi y dan dayar....
Och leas di veduaeth.
neut ym dianmaeth.
hoet da adoet pandygir clot vino.
pwy draetho gwir.
Olochwyt kyuot a thauot
llyfreu awen heb arswyt
achwdyl bun a hun breudwyt
Marw morgeneu marw kyfrennin moryal.
marw moryen mir trin.
trymaf hoet am dy [ad]oet ti vyrdin.
Digones douyd digued arnaf
marw morgeneu. marw mordaf.
marw moryen. marw agaraf (Evans 1911: 4, col. 583).
( [Gwenddydd]
Alas, dear one, for the separation;
after going into battle
with a brave, unconquerable lord,
you will be buried under the earth....
[Gwenddydd]
Alas, for your death, mead-nourished one,
I am destitute (lit., ‘totally lacking in nourishment’);
[There is] grief for [the news of] your death,
[You of] excellent fame, who utters the truth?
[Myrddin]
From a sequestered place rise up
and speak of
books of divine inspiration without fear,
and a tale of a maiden and a dream in sleep.
[Gwenddydd]
Morgenau dead, strong Morial dead,
Morien dead, the wall of battle;
heaviest [is] the grief for [the news of] your death, Myrddin.
[Myrddin]
God has brought death upon me.
Morgenau dead, Mordaf dead,
Morien dead, dead those that I love.)
Gwasgargerdd Fryddin yn y bedd
(The Diffused Songs of Myrddin in the Grave)
Gwr aleueir yny bed.
a dysgwyt kyn seith mlyned.
march marw eurdein googled.
Eryueis i owin owydyr gwynn.
gan rieu ryuel degynn.
myrdin yw vy enw uab moruryn (Evans 1911: 5, col. 584).
(A man speaks in the grave
what will come to pass before seven years:
March dead, supreme lord of the North.
I drank wine from a splendid glass
with resolute lords of war;
Myrddin is my name, son of Morfryn. )
Peiryan Faban
(“Commanding
Youth”)
Myrddin vab morwrynn oedd hebawc gwynn
pen vei yr rym wrthryn. ar ymdaraw
pan vei varw llonn pann vei ysgwyd tonn.
pann vei waet callonn ky noe gilyaw.
O gof gyndoleu ae gyt gynedeu.
gwae vi am angheu hwyret y daw
(Jarman 1951a: 105, lines 28-33).
(Jarman 1951a: 105, lines 28-33).
Myrddin son of Morfryn was a white hawk (hebawc)
when the mighty battle would be fought,
when there would be joyful death,
when there would be a broken shield,
when there would be heart’s blood before he would flee.
Because of the memory of Gwenddolau and his kinsmen [?],
great misery to me for my death-how slowly it comes.
As per usual I'm still reading but this is the one incarnation that I believe leads to the rest existing, it's interesting and gives some amazing visual aids such as the white hawk. Whilst I've been researching I'm been making notes of key areas I would like to look further into.
My next venture is into renaissance Merlin complete with John Dee and Shakespeare (because what project of mine would be complete without Shakespeare).

No comments :
Post a Comment