Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone ‘Welcome, Harry, to Diagon Alley’ Scene
This scene is my go to when asked this question because it’s something that has
stuck with me since I first saw it. As I read the books before I saw the film I
was really excited at the idea of seeing this magical world that had been in my
head right in front of my eyes.
Harrys initial reaction
When the scene opens you don’t actually see the Alley what you see instead is
Harrys reaction to it, this builds up the anticipation for the viewer as you see
Harry looking in awe of this location that you desperately want to see. You
then follow Harry’s reaction as he walks out revealing more and more of this
bizarre, yet exciting world. (In depth description of Diagon Alley)
Hagrid: Here's where you'll get your quills and ink, and over there all your bits and bobs for doing your wizardry.
Diagon Alley Concept Art
It’s bright colours and sheer energy entices the
audience from the beginning making the viewer want to see and know more about
this area, this initial response by the audience is particularly important when
you realise that later in the franchise the audience must feel devastated when
the area is destroyed. (Click here to see the Death Eater Attack scene)
Crane shot of Harry and Hagrid
What I really love about this scene is that it immerses you in it. Chris
Columbus’ use of POV shots really puts the viewer in the middle of the
action.This paired with the bouncy,
light-hearted music (Soundtrack here) in the background you can’t help but feel excited for Harry
thus making a very important connection between the viewer and the films main
character.
Welcome to my blog, here you will find everything I'm currently working on during my degree along with some... insights into my mind. I guess that what you could call it, insight.
Also please bare in mind all opinions written on this blog are correct at the time of posting however, you know people grow up, some of them might change. Don't hold me too them.
No comments :
Post a Comment