So I did a self-portrait shoot, it felt awkward,
narcissistic, self-absorbed and completely Internet generation. My goal.

Now that not only lives up to the stereotype of the ‘internet generation’ it is also opens a whole box of worms of what is the Internet generation? Who is the Internet generation? How safe is it? Will we regret it like we did smoking? Is it bad for us or is it genuinely good?
It is my firm belief that the Internet generation is the way forward yet for me the ultimate question is, are people becoming desensitised to legitimate problems because online they don’t seem real?

Now that not only lives up to the stereotype of the ‘internet generation’ it is also opens a whole box of worms of what is the Internet generation? Who is the Internet generation? How safe is it? Will we regret it like we did smoking? Is it bad for us or is it genuinely good?
It is my firm belief that the Internet generation is the way forward yet for me the ultimate question is, are people becoming desensitised to legitimate problems because online they don’t seem real?
Online you can be anyone you want, a better version of
yourself, a worse version of yourself or a completely different person.
Something that in reality is almost impossible (or at least a lot of effort and
who wants that, really?). Personally my internet self is someone I’ve aspired
too and I’ve made no secret of it, for example my internet persona doesn’t wear
glasses; it’s become second nature for me to take them off as soon as I’m
recording a video or taking a photo that will end up online. Why? I believe I
look better without them but in reality it’s not plausible for me not to wear
them but online it’s no problem.
If I believed this and acted on it in ‘real life’ it would be seen as me having low self-esteem and confidence, it would be a problem. Yet online, no one bats an eye.
Returning to the question of desensitising problems, people blame my generation for a lot of things and for the longest time I have defended them saying that they weren’t to blame and I stand by it. I do, however, believe that if they were not a passive audience we wouldn’t have as many problems as we do. But you cannot blame an audience for doing what they are being conditioned to do, you can however blame an individual for choosing not to acknowledge a problem when it’s pointed out to them.
I believe my project is going to turn into a political one - I'm not even sorry.
If I believed this and acted on it in ‘real life’ it would be seen as me having low self-esteem and confidence, it would be a problem. Yet online, no one bats an eye.
Returning to the question of desensitising problems, people blame my generation for a lot of things and for the longest time I have defended them saying that they weren’t to blame and I stand by it. I do, however, believe that if they were not a passive audience we wouldn’t have as many problems as we do. But you cannot blame an audience for doing what they are being conditioned to do, you can however blame an individual for choosing not to acknowledge a problem when it’s pointed out to them.
I believe my project is going to turn into a political one - I'm not even sorry.
No comments :
Post a Comment