Monday, 20 October 2014

Internet friends and Hakuna Matata

Taken from my Instagram; #LionKing15
Yesterday I met someone who I've known for 5 years but never actually met.

I met Nia over Twitter back in 2009 after we both ended up in a conversation with the same person and they mixed up our usernames which lead to us getting really confused. After tweeting for a while we realised that we both loved the same things (thankfully these things changed over the years!), but we also learnt that we lived on opposite sides of the country, different countries in fact. Nia is from Wales so meeting up was completely out of the question so we stuck to tweeting, as in those really annoying twitter conversations (I'm not even sorry), plus Facebook and Skype.


All the way through school and college we would talk just about life, mainly complaining about being in school or college and it was nice, like having an internet best friend. Once we figured out we both were not murderers we started joking about meeting up and going to different nerdy conventions but we both knew it just wouldn't work out. But a few months ago that changed, we figured out both of us would be living either in London or within travelling distance. Then our conversations started getting more and more serious about meeting up, mainly to see a show on the West End as we are both massive theatre geeks. Money and timing wasn't working in our favour so we decided to leave it for a while longer but last Monday I got a message from her asking what I was doing at the weekend.
The latest tweet I can find is from a band member we used to idolise
back in April 2011!

It turns out she had managed to get Lion King 15th Anniversary tickets and not only were they good seats - they were free!


Now I've never really been interested in Lion King on stage after seeing a failed amateur production a
few years ago, but I was so excited to see the actual version I was practically bouncing all the way to Waterloo. Not only was the show amazing but it also gave me and Nia something to break the ice with, you see, seeing someone in person when you normally talking in 140 characters is really freaking weird.

It was great going to the theatre with someone who loved the theatre as much, if not more, than I do. We could talk about the set (She is a prop design student), the costumes, the story and the actors - it was just a really fun day overall.

I didn't get to stay long in London but the time I spent there was unbelievably awesome and I got the celebrate Lion Kings birthday with confetti and some Rhinos, life could be worse.


During the Curtain Call they had confetti explode over the audience, this isn't my photo as my phone wasn't quick enough turning back on after the show!


No comments :

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com