Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Mixing down.



Today I sat down and finished isolating all my individual sounds so I could finally start mixing my final project. I already has an amazingly drawn diagram of what I wanted and where I wanted it so at the moment it's just a case of getting everything in the right order on the screen. My original plan was to create several different multitrack mixes and then compile them all together for mastering but I can't seem to find a way to do it,  so my new plan is to arrange the different 'rooms' in different mixes and then transfer the sounds already in order into my main mix before I start scoping.

2 Multitracks come together to form the opening sequence

At the moment I'm just getting the basics down such as where everything should be going and where the sound will appear in the listeners head when they sit down to listen to it. I'm then going to compile tracks based on their position for instance the 7 main positions I have at the moment are L100, L60, L20, 0, R20, R60 and R100, however these will probably change as I still want to play around with the positions of the actual rooms rather than just the positions of the objects making the noise.

My idea for the entire sequence is to repeat the grooves complied by the noises I have from each room and gradually get higher in pitch (only 1 step at a time, as if building towards something) whilst also getting faster. Once it has reached its pinnacle moment things will start going wrong, things will go out of time, things will go off pitch and ultimately go wrong. In the background of this noise footsteps will become frantic running from side to side/forward to back, I want the listener to feel that the human doesn't belong there and that it's the humans presence in the house that's caused everything to go wrong because that's really what happens in real life and what happened in the case of this sculpture. When first built the house was perfect, structurally sound and perfectly capable of staying there for a long as we deemed it necessary it's the constant use and wear and tear of being used by people that caused the house to be condemned in the first place, if the house hadn't been condemned Rachel Whiteread wouldn't have a sculpture to show. 

To help me visualise the look of this imaginary house and where I believe noises should be coming from I've gone back to my amazing drawings with far too many annotations, this is just for me to use whilst editing and it's great for trying things out in my head (that sounds a bit weird but we'll go with it anyway!) before I try them in the mix where something could potentially go wrong.


I am making notes of effects I've tried and believe will work somewhere else in the piece just not here, for instance when editing some generic sounds from the kitchen I found a chorus effect (bass chorus) which is exactly what I'll be looking for when I a bit further into the piece and things start to go wrong.

Let's just say there is a method to the madness. 

1 comment :

  1. Hi Rachel this is a thorough and thoughtful approach to your sound design. Are you talking through your plans with Sebastian? He is available this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com